While your kids are gearing up for a fabulous summer in camp, you have a whole lot of stuff to prepare, and the most dreaded one (for some of us anyways) is labeling all their clothing and stuff. We’ll help you choose the label option that is best for you and your family.
SHOULD I LABEL MY CLOTHES WITH IRON-ON NAME LABELS, SEW-ON NAME LABELS, OR THE PERMANENT LAUNDRY STAMP?
When deciding which clothing name label to order, it really is a matter of personal preference. Both labels have the same clear, sharp print and non-fray edge, and the stamp will last through many washings. Follow these guidelines when deciding which clothing name label is right for you.
SEW-ON CLOTHING NAME LABELS:
- Sewing on clothing labels onto all your garments is a chore that is more time-consuming than ironing on the exact same quantity.
- If you have a sewing machine, you should definitely consider sew-on name labels since the job will go much faster. Prepare all your clothing in a pile near the sewing machine, and zip and snip through all those labels.
- Sew on clothing name labels are made from a softer material that is easy to sew. However, keep in mind that the edges do not fuse with the garment like the iron on labels do and could irritate someone with sensitivities (it’s best to not to use synthetic thread for this task).
- Sew-on clothing labels can be applied on just about on any item that you could sew into, even on bulky and unusual shaped clothing and coats.
- Use sew-on name labels on unique items like umbrellas and boots.
- Sew-on name labels are usually 1/4″ wider than iron on labels to allow room on the side for stitching.
IRON-ON CLOTHING LABELS
- Iron-On clothing name labels are definitely a timesaver. Estimate that it should take you half the time to apply as sew-on.
- They may not be practical to apply on certain items that are heat sensitive (like 100% synthetic articles) or are bulky (like coats).
- If applied properly, they’re flexible and become part of the garment for minimal itch.
- They’re great on unique items like bags, cooler bags, suitcases, kids backpacks. Even on umbrellas!
PERMANENT LAUNDRY STAMP
- Stamps are even easier and faster to apply than labels.
- The self-Inking stamp has permanent ink which will last through many, many washings.
- This is the item to buy for the child or adult with sensory issues. Although both labels are made from soft materials, the super sensory kid will appreciate having nothing attached to his or her clothing.
- It’s great for those dozens and dozens of underwear.
- However, the print is lighter than the pre-printed clothing labels, and the ink will fade after several years of use.
- It can only be used on light-colored garments. The print will not show on dark clothing.
SHOULD I CHOOSE AN ICON OR INITIAL?
Some retailers offer additional customization options like icons or initials. Choosing an icon lets you add some excitement to an otherwise boring task. Celebrate your child’s uniqueness, and choose an image that identifies them. PLUS, get the added bonus of easier identification of their clothing in a public laundry situation. Choose a heart icon for an additional reminder of love when your child is away from home. Sitting together with your kids to help decide which image is one way to bond with them; it will create a lasting memory.
An initial personalizes your kids’ labels even more and also helps for easier identification of their clothing.
SHOULD I CHOOSE COLORED LABELS?
Color coded labels are always an excellent solution when you have more than one child in a family. If you’ve ever sat in front of a laundry basket full of white underwear and tried to figure out which item belongs to whom, you know what I’m talking about. Simply order a different color print for each child, and you’ll recognize their clothing in an instant. Their clothes will be easier to spot they’re at camp.
WHERE CAN I PURCHASE CLOTHING LABELS FOR CAMP?
There are many online retailers that sell name labels.
HOW DO I CHOOSE, AND WHERE CAN I FIND THEM?
There are three main factors to take into account when deciding where to purchase camp clothing name labels:
- DELIVERY TIMEFRAME.
PRICE – How much are you really willing to spend on a little clothing name label? Sure, you can get beautiful customization options with cartoon characters and other quirky stuff, but the bottom line is that nobody but you will ever see them. Do yourself a favor and save the cool look for the clothing itself. Buy the most economical name labels that you can find, and keep the extra cash in your pocket.
QUALITY – Don’t compromise when you purchase clothing name labels. Lookout for the following three characteristics:
- Will the actually STAY ON after a few washings?
- Will the EDGES FRAY? There are many stores that will send you crudely printed labels on a roll or perforated sheets. Try to find a retailer that offers you pre-cut labels to avoid the frustration of frayed edges.
- Will the PRINT FADE? If their product image is fuzzy then the real thing will definitely be fuzzy too. Try to read between the lines; is print quality mentioned at all? If not, perhaps you need to search further.
How do you really know if an online seller is really selling you a quality product? Find out if the seller stands behind their product. If they have a money back guarantee for the clothing name label (and many of them do), then you know that you will be getting a good product.
ORDER TURNAROUND TIME
Why wait for your labels when some sellers print and ship the same or next day? While doing research, we ordered from quite a few online sellers and were either pleasantly surprised or extremely disappointed. One seller sent us the labels FOUR WEEKS after we ordered it. This seller sold many other custom products besides name labels, and when we inquired, they told us that our order was in the queue. Perhaps you’re better off sticking to the sellers that actually focus on labels and not a bunch of other stuff too.
When purchasing name labels for camp, remember that you and your family have unique needs and preferences, and buy accordingly.
Writer Liza Berman is an up-and-coming internet entrepreneur whose quest is to ensure that any piece of clothing having a clothing name label from Starlight Labels will be returned to its rightful owner. Our company does this by providing a quality product that will last through the roughest laundry cycles. Get FREE SHIPPING on your next purchase of clothing labels for camp. Just enter coupon code: SHIPFREE12 on check out at www.starlightlabels.com.